This newsletter has no copy-right.
Feel free to share it by forwarding it on or by printing it off.
TALKING TO A “LAWFUL” ATHEIST
I wanted to send out a quick email during our Mission Trip to Alaska. The other day I was open-air preaching in the Town Square Park of Anchorage Alaska and afterwards had a good one-on-one witnessing encounter with an atheist.
This atheist was in his early twenties and remembered me from last year when I preached on the University of Alaska. He told me that he was actually raised in a Christian home but the public school is what corrupted him back in Middle School.
He talked about some of his bad habits like smoking and drinking but then said that while he doesn’t believe in God he does believe in “the rule of law” and a “lawful society.”
This was the perfect entry point for apologetics and an internal critique of the atheist worldview. I argued, “But there would be no basis for absolute moral laws apart from an infinite mind. Law at its essence is an idea of the mind. If moral law does not come from the infinite mind of God then it comes from the finite minds of men.” To this he agreed.
I went on, “And if it comes from the finite mind of man, this is no basis for a moral law that is universally obligatory. It would just be my finite mind against your finite mind.” Again he agreed and did not argue.
“So then, you could not say that any society has ever been morally wrong. You could not condemn the Nazis or Cannibals or the Witch Hunts or the Crusades. In the finite minds of the Nazis, they had decided that killing the Jews was the best thing they could do for their society. They blamed the Jews for their economic depression. They viewed the Jews as immigrant invaders who were stealing their economy. Plus they were evolutionarily inferior and you know how survival of the finest works, so the Germans decided it was best for them to kill the Jews.” Surprisingly he did not argue.
“If morality is simply the product of the collective society, then no society could ever be morally wrong. But we all know inherently that societies have been morally wrong. And that means that morality transcends society and is not the product of society. Morality comes from the infinite mind of God. That is the only adequate basis for absolute morality that is universally obligatory upon every society.”
Usually I have atheists try to put up some kind of intellectual fight and jump through all sorts of mental hoops and gymnastics at this point but he did not.
I could have also gone into the issue of inalienable rights vs civil rights and how we can only have an “inalienable right to life and liberty” is there is a transcendent God who gave us such a right. If there is no God than all we have are civil rights which, by definition, can be granted or taken away by the civil government without any inalienable rights being violated. So if a government decided to enslave a population or to commit mass murder, no inalienable right to life from God would be violated, if there was no God. If life and liberty are civil rights, the government can take them away without violating any rights.
Then he said, “But there are just so many religions in the world which all have so many followers and believers. My question is, ‘How can so many people be wrong?”
I followed up and said, “I think you are asking the wrong question. The real question is not, “How can so many people be wrong” but “How can so many people be right?” All the world religions make claims that contradict other religions, so they cannot all be right. According to the laws of logic, truth cannot contradict truth. So somebody has to be right and somebody has to be wrong. That is just the way it is.”
Again, he seemed to agree and did not argue. Of course the issue with an atheist is not intellectual but moral. The purpose of apologetics is not to intellectual convince him because God has already done that through creation. The purpose is to show his contradictions and inconsistencies and the baselessness of his position, to expose him as a criminal who knows about God but chooses to rebel against Him. And that is what I alleged to him, “You already know that there is a God but you just don’t want Him to rule your life. You want to rule your own life. But if God is not ruling your life then you are ruining your own.”
By all appearances it seemed like good seeds were being planted into his heart and mind. Pray for this man and please pray for us as we continue to minister here in Alaska for another week.
To encourage and equip believers in the work of apologetics I just started a Facebook group called “Street Apologetics: Presuppositional & Evidential Apologetics Discussion.” It already has 154 members. Check it out here: STREET APOLOGETICS FACEBOOK GROUP
It is similar to another group you might be interested in joining. My other group is called, “The Street Preacher Movement” and now has 4,345 members with street preachers from all over the world. It is a great evangelism network! Check it out here: JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
~ Jesse Morrell
PS: Here is a quick and short video I made on “How to Do Presuppositional Apologetics | Refuting Atheists & Proving God“
SUPPORT THE MISSION &
|Visit Our Website: Click Here|
- 357,381 hits
Send Missionary Support
How to Refute Atheism & Evolution – FREE BOOK
Get Jesse Morrell’s Book “Cleansing the Temple: A Call to Radical Christianity.”
Get Jesse Morrell’s Book on Free Will & Human Nature
Get Jesse Morrell’s Book on Human Nature
Get Jesse Morrell’s Book on The Emotions of God
Beyond Augustine Church History Documentary DVD
How to Open Air Preach!
FREE FINNEY BOOK
Open Air Outreach Newsletter Archive
Watch Open Air Preaching Videos
Watch Theology Teaching Videos
Jesse Morrell’s Facebook
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
- Pornography Causes Brain Damage | Neuroscience Report
- Look What Marijuana Actually Does to the Brain! Alaska Outreach Report
- How to Respond to Police Who Say Street Preaching is Disturbing the Peace
- Why Calvinism is Gnosticism | Jesse Morrell
- Can God Change? Jesse Morrell
- Why Calvinists are NOT Elect | Jesse Morrell
- Anthropomorphism in the Bible – A Calvinist Cop-out by Jesse Morrell
- Penal Substitution – An Essential Doctrine? Jesse Morrell
- The Foolishness of R. C. Sproul’s “Rogue Molecule” | Making God less than a Man
- Jesus was an Open Theist by Jesse Morrell
- Rebuking Heretic Pastor of Gnostic Cult Emilio Ramos | Reformed Calvinist Exposed | Jesse Morrell Refutes Heresy
- Jesse Morrell Blocked on Facebook for Love-Speech they called Hate Speech
- Location & Schedule for The 2019 National Street Preachers Conference
- How Water & Fasting Healed my Chronic Fatigue
- Did NASA Really Recreate the “Origins of Life”? A Scientific Critique from a Christian
- Neuroscience: What Porn Does to the Brain | Rapists & Serial Killers | Brain Damage from Pornography
- A Critique of Penal Substitution: Did Jesus Suffer Eternal Hell on the Cross?
- The Psychology of Soul Winning By Jesse Morrell
- Is the Atonement of Christ Justice? How the Atonement of Christ Satisfied Public Justice, not Retributive Justice by Jesse Morrell
- Ticketed by Police in Canada for Street Preaching!
- Booklet: The Vicarious Atonement of Christ by Jesse Morrell
- The False Gospel of Easy Believism | Jesse Morrell Refutes Antinomianism
- How to Convict Sinners & Convert them to Christ! Free Street Preacher Training!
- Was Wine in the Bible Alcoholic? Fermented? Grape Juice? Bible Study
- How to Weaken Temptation & Live Holy for Jesus!
- Free Online School of Evangelism!
- Church History Documentary| The Free Will Debate | Augustine vs. Pelagius | Gnostics vs Early Church
- The Story of a Street Preacher | Open Air Preaching Documentary Movie Films
- I know the Cure for Cancer! And it’s FREE!
- Question: Why did God Create the Devil?
- A Quick Refutation to Dr James White (Theologian) by Jesse Morrell (Street Preacher) with the Greek New Testament.
- FREE Library of Christian Books!
- How Did Adam & Eve Sin Without A Sinful Nature? Free Will
- Response to the Critics: Does Street Preaching Really Work? Where is the Fruit? Where are the Salvations?
- A News Helicopter Covered the National Street Preachers Conference!
- Princeton University vs. Street Preacher| Police Showed Up | Jesse Morrell
- Help Make A Difference by Giving $7 A Month | Missionary Support
- 3 Free Christian Theology Books by Jesse Morrell | FREE CHRISTIAN EBOOKS
- The Heresy of Matt Slick of CARM by Jesse Morrell | “A person does not need to forsake his sin in order to be saved” Matt Slick
- How to live the Happy Blessed Christian Life! Be Holy! Jesse Morrell
- The Calvinist Argument of “Double Jeopardy” in “Penal Substitution” & “Unlimited Atonement” Answered
- Can God Change? His Mind? His Emotions? His Relations? His Nature? His Character? Biblical Theology Answers
- Is God Outside of Time or Inside of Time? Biblical Answer
- How to Get Sober – Genetic Behavioralism & the “Alcoholic Gene” | Epigenetics & Free Will Testimony
- Does Regeneration Precede Conversion / Faith? Jesse Morrell Refutes Calvinism with Scripture
- What is Sinless Perfection? A Heretical Theology by Jesse Morrell
- Does God Force People to Love Him? No. Calvinism Refuted.
- Romans 9 – Unconditional Election or Conditional Election? Calvinism Refuted
- We Need a Move of the Holy Spirit to Bring the Conviction of Sin | Holy Ghost Revival
- The Heresy of Pastor Steven Anderson Exposed – Beware of Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing! Jesse Morrell Refutes A Heretic
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011